Sunday, April 1, 2018

Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert

Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert. (New  York: Riverhead Books, 2015)



Is there a place for magic in this world?  There is if you equate magic with creative inspiration, as Elizabeth Gilbert does in this book.  She lists numerous examples of how inspiration and the act of creating swept into her life at the right time.  Does inspiration seek you out and show up at the right time, just when you need it?  Yes, according to Gilbert, but you have to be able to recognize it.  You need to be open to inspiration.  I found this concept, even though I had heard it before, to be thought-provoking and exciting. 

Gilbert is also a proponent of creating every day, whether you are an artist, a writer, a crafter – whatever your creative outlet.  Just do it, to borrow a phrase from a well-known sportswear manufacturer.  Every day, you need to stretch your creative muscles.  Furthermore, Gilbert advises being creative for the enjoyment of it, not for the potential glory.  Write because you love it, not because you want to write the great American novel.  In my opinion, this is great advice and I am trying to adjust my thinking accordingly.

If you are artistic and want to live healthily as an artist, then read this book. I give it four out of five beach umbrellas.

 ⛱   ⛱   ⛱   ⛱

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're Back! With a great book called Jane Steele

I'm back.  Sorry for the hiatus of about a year.  Sometimes, stuff you have to do gets in the way of things you want to be doing.  But I...